1. What Is Sublimation Printing?
The process of sublimation printing transfers images onto a substrate that is usually a cloth material. Sublimation uses heat to transfer the image to the cloth, but the dye makes the image actually become a part of the cloth item. The term "sublimation" refers from the quick change from a solid to a gaseous state, without ever existing in a liquid state. When heated to high temperatures, sublimation ink turns into a gas and the pores of the cloth open up to allow the gas to enter, then close, trapping the ink inside of them.
2. Can Normal Printers Do Sublimation Printing?
You usually need to purchase a separate printer specifically for sublimation printing.
How We Reviewed The Best Sublimation Printers
When it comes to finding the best sublimation printer for you, there are several great options on the market. What will make a specific machine the best sublimation printer for you will be a printer that has the features you are looking for, and is available at a price point in your budget. To help you make an informed decision, we've gathered some of the most highly rated options on the market and will be reviewing them based on key characteristics.
Overall Price Range
You can expect to spend somewhere from around $$$ to $$$ on the best sublimation printer.
What We Reviewed
- Mitsubishi CP-D707DW Double-Deck Compact Digital Dye Sublimation Thermal Photo Printer - 4.0" Paper...
- Ultra-fast, high capacity printer
- Compact design
This printer is perfect for high capacity printing operations. It has 300 dpi resolution and is compact, lightweight, and space saving. It features a single deck design and fast print speeds. You can choose from Ultrafine, Superfine and Fine print modes. You can also choose between a glossy and matte finish. The printer can print in photo sizes 2x6", 3.5x5", 4x6", 5x7", 6x7", and 6x8". It also features a dust-proof housing design and an advanced cooling system that keeps the machine from overheating.
This Mitsubishi is compatible with both PC and Mac computers and has a high-speed USB 2.0 interface. It weighs only 26 pounds so can easily be transported as needed. It has a high reputation for quality, reliability, and efficiency. It uses a new image processing algorithm that enhances the natural image sharpness and clarity and works to bring out the best in event photographs.
- WHERE TO BUY
The manufacturer of this sublimation printer offers a limited five-year warranty.
- DNP DS820A 8" Dye-sublimation Photo Printer.
- The DS820A can print 8 x 10" and 8 x 12" photos with professional quality.
- Also can print 8 x4" and panoramic print sizes 8 x 18", 8 x 22", 8 x 26", and 8 x 32".
This is one of the best sublimation printer options because it comes with an improved print quality that gives you fine prints with richer colors and blacker blacks. This machine gives you the maximum color density and a higher gloss finish for deeper colors. You can choose between luster and fine matte finishes. It features a significantly improved print throughput that has increased from 86 prints per hour to 125 prints per hour.
- DNP DS-RX1HS Photo Printer.
- Ideal for Photo Booth business and Event Photography.
- The DS-RX1HS boasts a 20 percent increase in print speeds, allowing users to produce 4"x6" prints in...
This dye sublimation thermal transfer printer uses a high-speed mode that allows it to print at 300 x 300 dpi and a high-resolution mode that allows it to print at 300 x 600. This is one of the best sublimation printer options because it comes at an affordable price. This can print 290 prints per hour. This machine combines inexpensive hardware costs and high-end capabilities to give you a great print at an affordable price. This new and improved design features seamless connection to Mac or PC computers.
- HiTi P525L Photo Printer - 2x Paper Flange (1 White; 1 Black) - 2x Paper Adapter - Scrap Receptacle...
- Perfect for On-site Photo Booth and Event Photography
- Compact and High Speed Printing
This photo printer is perfect for on-site photo booths and event photography because it's easily transportable, as well as compact and high speed. It has a tough external shell to help keep the printer in great shape and protect it from any shock along the way. This is the first photo printer to use RFID technology to identify and recognize RFID media chips; changing the media key is no longer necessary for replacing media. This is a PC link model with an integrated mono-LCD and five hard keys to monitor the status of the printer.
- Not only will your photos be instantly dry, but they will also look great for up to 100 years4 and...
- Enjoy the simplicity of connecting your smartphone and tablet with ease, through the Canon PRINT...
- The sleek, portable design lets you bring the SELPHY CP1300 with you and with the optional battery...
This option from Canon is one of the best sublimation printers because it is so affordable. Your photos will be instantly dry and will be water resistant. You can easily and simply connect your smartphone or tablet with the Canon Print app. This printer features a sleek, portable design and an optional battery pack that allows you to print and share your photos anywhere. The LCD screen tilts so you can easily choose, edit, and print your favorite photos.
- Sawgrass Virtuoso SG800 Printer + complete set of Sublijet-HD inks (CYMK) + 110 sheets of...
- Comes with download access to Creative Studio software. Easy-to-use Online Designer and Stock Design...
- Comes with 110 SHEETS of our exclusive sublimation paper size 8.5"x11" - MADE IN JAPAN...
This Sawgrass Virtuoso Sublimation Printer uses a software program that you can open on your computer to connect and work with the printer. This sublimation printer will give you the deepest and most defined colors that you've ever seen in prints. This top of the line machine will give you the best print, every time.
- ONE TOUCH PRINTING: Convenient printer dock lets you print photos direct from your smartphone;...
- HIGH QUALITY PHOTOS: Fast, Easy System Prints Standard 4 inches x 6 inches Photos in Brilliant Color...
- MAXIMUM DEVICE COMPATIBILITY: Dock features 5 pin micro USB for Android & USB host for printing from...
This Kodak Dock and WiFi Instant Photo Printer uses one-touch printing. This convenient printer dock lets you print photos right from your smartphone. This printer will give you fast and easy prints that are extremely high quality and give your photos a depth and definition they have been looking for. This dock features a 5 pin Micro USB for Android and a USB host for printing from iPhone for apple products. The simultaneous charging allows you to charge at least two smart devices while you wait for your photos to print.
- Mitsubishi CP-K60DW-S Eco-Value Dye-Sub Photo Printer - Paper Flange Spacer - Ink Cassette - Paper...
- Two print formats - 1 media: The outstanding feature in the new CP-K60DW-S is the possibility to...
- High Resolution: Mitsubishi Electric printers incorporate the newly developed image processing...
This sublimation printer is a great option because it allows you to produce two print sizes from just one media paper which saves you time, reduces stock, and makes maintenance easier and faster. This incorporates newly developed image processing methods that make it possible to reproduce smooth edges and natural images at 300 dpi. It uses 96% less standby power, making it a very eco-friendly option. It uses a nice matte print finish to give your photos a nice look and feel.
- EASY PRINT TECHNOLOGY : Mini Smartphone Printer Lets You Print 2.1 X 3.4 inches Photos Direct From...
- WIRELESS CONVENIENCE : NFC One Touch for Android Launches Kodak App to Print in Seconds; Also...
- HIGH QUALITY PHOTOS : Innovative D2T2 Dye Transfer Method Produces Beautiful, Detailed Black/White...
This Kodak Mini Portable Mobile Instant Photo Printer lets you print photos directly from your smartphone, without the hassle of any cords or buttons. It uses wireless technology for your convenience to print high-quality photographs using professional dye transfer methods that dry instantly and stay bright and fresh looking for up to 10 years! The printer comes with a free companion app that allows you to easily print at the touch of a button.
- Breakthrough Print Speeds - produce accurate A1/D-size prints in 34 seconds (1).
- Easy to Operate - large, intuitive 4.3" LCD color touchscreen simplifies print tasks.
- Compact, Clean Design - ultra small footprint4 and sleek, minimal design that enhances your...
This Epson SureColor gives you the best sublimation printer features at breakthrough print speeds. It's easy to operate with a large and intuitive 4.3 inches LED screen that simplifies print tasks. It has a compact and clean design that is sleek and will fit into your workplace with its minimalist style. IT allows you to replace ink less often with high capacity cartridges. Easily print from phones or tablets by connecting with the wireless feature.
Whether you plan on printing high-quality Tshirts or astounding photographs, you need the best sublimation printer to give your pictures a clarity and depth of never before.
When it comes to sublimation printers, the more expensive options are likely to be higher quality. That being said, you can still find great printers available at any price point. If you're looking to spend as little money as possible, you might want to try one of the more affordable options. Try the Kodak Mini Portable Mobile Instant Photo Printer, the Kodak Dock & Wi-Fi Portable 4x6” Instant Photo Printer, or the Canon SELPHY CP1300 Wireless Compact Photo Printer with AirPri, or the DNP Event Photo Printer DS-RX1HS 6" Dye Sublimation.
If you are looking for a sublimation printer that is a tad more middle of the line, check out the Mitsubishi CP-K60DW-S Eco-Value Dye-Sub Photo Printer, or the Mitsubishi CP-D70DW Pro-Performance Dye-Sub Photo Printer. Or, if money is no issue, why not treat yourself to a more expensive model? Try out the Epson SureColor T5170 36” Wireless Printer, the Sawgrass Virtuoso SG800 (Ricoh based) Complete Sublimation Printer Kit, or the DNP DS820A 8" Professional Dye-Sublimation Printer.
Whichever you decide is the best sublimation printer for you, remember to always follow the instructions when printing to keep your printer in great condition for a long time.
For more information on everything printing, visit our website today!